July 21, 2008

How to make it through a Monday


It's Monday. And all day, it felt like a Monday. I struggled more than usual to get through it. So I'm going to brainstorm a bit to come up with some ideas to make future Mondays just a little happier.

1. Spend a few minutes getting ready Sunday night. I am usually good at doing this, but I didn't do a great job this week. Generally, I prepare lunches, gather the boy's necessities for day care (blanket, diapers, etc.), prepare items for breakfast, and set my laptop/purse/shoes by the door.

2. Get out of bed 10 minutes early. This might seem counter-intuitive, but I think I need a few extra minutes on a Monday morning. I would like to use this extra 10 minutes to do some stretching or maybe a few sun salutations before starting my morning routine.

3. Music! Music does wonders to set my mood for the day. I've learned that I can't start the week by listening to NPR or classical. I need loud and energetic music that I can sing or even scream with. I won't be able to create a new playlist for each week, but I could create a Monday playlist, and I can make sure I have some CDs that fit this description in my car.

4. Prepare my to-do list first thing. I usually start my work day by writing my to-do list, but it is especially important on a Monday. It will help set the tone for the week if I start out organized and if I know what I have in front of me.

5. Have lunch away from my desk. I have one of those jobs that requires me to sit in a cubicle all day, and I often end up eating lunch at my desk. It's worse since my work day has been shortened, so I rarely get away from my desk. Having actual human interaction has such a huge impact on my mood. I do try to schedule at least a couple lunches a month, and I'm going to try to do this on Mondays. It'll help start the week on a positive note.

6. Schedule an easy dinner. I am always tired on Mondays, so I try to plan a dinner that's simple to pull together. Tonight, for example, is leftovers. The easiest option of all!
What other ideas do you have for surviving the Monday blahs?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous22.7.08

    From Meri:

    I usually extend number 5 from "having lunch away from my desk" to a general "having something nice to look forward to" on Mondays.
    Sometimes it means stopping by at a bookstore to check on the latest editions, sometimes making a phone call to a friend...
    Something I really like doing and I only get to do it once a week, or twice a month, or even less.
    A Bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...