July 7, 2008

Cloud Atlas

I like reading all types of books. I like fun chick-lit like "Bridget Jones Diary" or "In Her Shoes". I like more serious books, especially those that help you learn about another time or another place, such as "Atonement" or "The Kite Runner". I like period books such as "Pride and Prejudice" or "March". I like classics like "East of Eden". I like baseball books and history books and even some non-fiction occasionally. I am not ashamed to admit that I love Harry Potter and was so sad to read the last book. A few of my other favorites are listed on the right-hand column.

I recently finished a book entitled "Cloud Atlas", by David Mitchell, and I would definitely recommend it. It starts out slowly, and it can be difficult to read at times, but hang in there, because it is fascinating. I sometimes read books that, while entertaining, I feel like I probably could've written. Simple, even predictable. And I enjoy that sometimes. But sometimes I like to be challenged, and I love reading a book that I know I never could've come up with in a million years. David Mitchell is a creative genius, and I love getting to read something that is this imaginative.

I am not sure if I can try to describe the plot. It is actually made up of six nested stories, each linked to the next, and each story is a completely different genre. Here's a review from The Washington Post that can provide a summary and description. It might not make much sense, though. But if you're looking for a book that is thought-provoking, interesting, imaginative, and entertaining, look no further.

"Souls cross the skies o' time. . . like clouds crossin' skies o' the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...