July 31, 2012

Recently Read


A few of the books I've recently read:

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn.  You've probably heard of it by now - I think it's at or near the top of bestsellers at the moment.  I can understand why.  It is totally engaging, and it will keep you guessing along the way.  I will admit that the ending was a little lackluster in my opinion, and you should also know up front that this is not a story about characters you will like in any way.  That said, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.  A great Summer read.

The Kid from Tomkinsville, by John R. Tunis.  I like to read at least one or two baseball books in the Summer.  I read The Art of Fielding earlier in the year, but I thought I'd pick up another quick one.  Set in the 1940s, the story describes the journey of Roy Tucker, a young kid from Connecticut who gets drafted by the Brooklyn Dodgers as a pitcher.  He excels as a pitcher but then suffers a freak accident and cracks his pitching elbow.  He works to come back to baseball as an outfielder.  I enjoyed this book a lot, and I think my sons will too when they get a little older.

These Days Are Ours, by Michelle Haimoff.  It's about a group of twenty-somethings in New York City.  Privileged children struggling to come into their own in a post-9/11 NYC.  I couldn't relate to their lifestyle, but their struggles, and particularly the struggles of the main character, Hailey, were very relatable.  Searching for a job and a boyfriend, coming to terms with divorce and family issues, and fighting loneliness.  The writing is wonderful, and the dialogue is particularly written well.  Despite the serious topics, it's downright funny at times, and it took me back to that time in my own life.  Highly recommend.

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading so much that I had to start utilizing the library again, rather than purchasing on my kindle. Free is good, but they never have any of the newer books checked in.

    I just read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume the other day (literally, in one day) and I loved every page of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend was just telling me about Gone Girl. "These Days Are Ours" sounds good, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Gone Girl, and the ending was not what I had hoped either. And, changing my book club recommendation to The Kid... per your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...