February 14, 2011

Weekend Recap

I was going to write more about my weekend, but it included a long wait in the passport line at the post office, and a meltdown of epic proportions when we discovered that I left the boys' snow boots at school.  So let's skip over the highlights and focus on the little moments instead.

Our weekend started off with an evening on my own.  Kevin went to a hockey game, and I enjoyed a quiet evening at home.  After the boys went to bed, I snuggled up next to the fireplace with my book - Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro.  I decided to just enjoy a good block of time to read.  It so rarely happens.  I stayed up too late but finished the book.  It is unique, well-written, and thought-provoking.  I haven't seen the movie (yet), but I highly recommend the book. 

The big boy and I worked on his valentines in front of the fireplace.  I just supervised, really, making sure the glue or markers didn't get on the rug.  I love watching him when he's concentrating and working so thoughtfully.

I also love baking with my big boy.  He scoops and measures very carefully and is so excited at the prospect of a few scattered chocolate chips.

When I was making dinner, the little boy became overwhelmed with energy, which happens from time to time.  He started dancing - picture the really fast running in place a la Fame dancing.  The rest of us found this so ridiculous that we had to join in.  And the more we danced, the more he laughed and danced.  Funny how infectious those moments are.

After dinner, the boys still sticky with applesauce and blueberries, I was tackled by both of them in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Huge smiles and sweet kisses.

Those little moments are way more fun to remember than waiting in line at the post office, but I must say I'm happy to have that task behind me as well!

3 comments:

  1. that happens to me all the time.. i get involved in a book and stay up til 1am reading! i am reading One Day right now.

    Happy Vday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a lovely weekend, miss mary! happy valentine's day! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I just put that movie in my netflix queue but I didn't know it was a book! I'll definitely read it first now. I am reading Saturday, by the guy who wrote atonement and it is so god awful boring I just want to die! But I have no other book on deck. Isn't that just the worst? I keep thinking it must get better but instead I read before bed and just feel pissed that it continued to bore me to tears.

    And your descriptions of messy boys kills me! I can't imagine all that goo. I have to learn to relax more. That's why I don't really bake=because it's so messy. Pretty lame I know.
    This kitchen could really work for your house I think. Seems to hav ea similar layout right? (after you close off that wall anyway)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...