February 14, 2011

Menu of the Week


Last week, I decided to try a full menu written by Everyday Food.  You know, those menus that include using leftovers from one meal as input to another?  Well, I gave it a shot.  Here's what recipes were included, along with my thoughts...

Salmon Skewers with Smashed Potatoes
This was very good.  My boys do well with fish, and I've been trying to incorporate more seafood into our weekly menus.  I didn't bother with skewers, though.  I love the idea of "cooking" the spinach simply by mixing it with the hot potatoes - one less dish to clean. 

Skirt Steak with Sweet Potato Wedges and Parsley Salad
This was very good as well.  I used mixed greens instead of parsley, and I also added some chunks of blue cheese which complimented the steak nicely.  My boys don't do steak, so I cooked a piece of chicken along with the steak, but they did load up on the sweet potatoes.

Six-Ingredient Chicken Noodle Soup, cheese toast
This was okay.  First of all, this menu says it serves four, but it serves probably three times that much.  It makes a TON!  My little boy did really well with this, and I did enjoy having lots of leftovers to bring to work for lunch.  I even brought a pot over to my neighbors.  And it's a very simple recipe.  Not sure I love chicken noodle soup enough to make it again, though.

Baked Spaghetti and Mozzarella
I really liked this.  Again, it says it serves four but makes enough for plenty of leftovers.  This recipe is all about good ingredients.  Fresh basil and mozzarella, and lots of it.  Easy and yummy.  

Chicken and Sweet Potato Hand Pies, Green Beans
I liked this meal.  I love the concept of this - dress up some leftovers, wrap them in puff pastry, and bake.  I didn't love this version, though - the spices were a little overwhelming to me.  My husband liked it, though.  I'm going to keep the idea and see how else I could use it in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...