2. Plan trips. I've spent a good portion of January making plans for the rest of the year. We've picked out the place where we're going to spend our big vacation - 10 days in Tuscany. [Insert very excited face here] I'm also planning a long weekend with family in North Carolina, a girls' spa weekend, and other fun events. It always helps when I have something fun to look forward to.
We're going here this summer. Yay!
3. Bake. Summer is for the grill, Winter is for the oven. I also love making soups/stews and roasting, but baking is the most fun. Probably because my son can help me the most with baking. It's something fun we can do together, it's a great way to stay occupied on a weekend afternoon, and the results are something yummy! (I'm going to make a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting this weekend. Yay!)
4. Pick up a big book. Summer is the time for the lighter, faster reading. While the days are dark and cold, choose a heavier book. Perhaps a classic you've always wanted to read. One that challenges you.
5. Buy yourself flowers. I know it's a money splurge, and I know it's probably not a very "green" thing to do. That said, I can't tell you how much it lifts my spirits to have a colorful vase of flowers on my dining room table.
6. Catch up on movies. The Oscars are coming up in just a few weeks. How many of the nominated films have you seen? I've actually done pretty well this year - I guess we chose wisely when going out, because every movie I saw this year was nominated. But there are still some I haven't seen - I want to see Biutiful, and I heard The Fighter was really good too.
Biutiful stars Javier Bardem
What are you doing to survive the Winter?