February 3, 2011

How to Appreciate (Survive) Winter

1. Go outside.  Sledding, hiking, skiing, snowball-fighting...there are lots of ways to have fun in the snow.

2. Plan trips.  I've spent a good portion of January making plans for the rest of the year.  We've picked out the place where we're going to spend our big vacation - 10 days in Tuscany.  [Insert very excited face here] I'm also planning a long weekend with family in North Carolina, a girls' spa weekend, and other fun events.  It always helps when I have something fun to look forward to.
We're going here this summer.  Yay!

3.  Bake.  Summer is for the grill, Winter is for the oven.  I also love making soups/stews and roasting, but baking is the most fun.  Probably because my son can help me the most with baking.  It's something fun we can do together, it's a great way to stay occupied on a weekend afternoon, and the results are something yummy!  (I'm going to make a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting this weekend.  Yay!)


4. Pick up a big book.  Summer is the time for the lighter, faster reading.  While the days are dark and cold, choose a heavier book.  Perhaps a classic you've always wanted to read.  One that challenges you.

5.  Buy yourself flowers.  I know it's a money splurge, and I know it's probably not a very "green" thing to do.  That said, I can't tell you how much it lifts my spirits to have a colorful vase of flowers on my dining room table.

6.  Catch up on movies.  The Oscars are coming up in just a few weeks.  How many of the nominated films have you seen?  I've actually done pretty well this year - I guess we chose wisely when going out, because every movie I saw this year was nominated.  But there are still some I haven't seen - I want to see Biutiful, and I heard The Fighter was really good too.

Biutiful stars Javier Bardem

What are you doing to survive the Winter?

1 comment:

  1. I really love your suggestions for surviving winter. We're having a blizzard here right now so I really needed the reminder!

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...