February 18, 2011

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow


This week's music pick is The Civil Wars, who just released their first full-length album, Barton Hollow.  This album has been in heavy rotation in my car over the last couple weeks.  The video above is of the title track.  They are being compared to The Swell Season, which was responsible for the music in the movie Once.  I think they are a bit more eclectic than that, although I think it's a fair comparison.  As a fan of The Swell Season, I also think it's a compliment.  I think you could also compare them to Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson, whose music and harmonies I adore also.  The most perfect thing about The Civil Wars is the harmony of their beautiful voices, and I particularly love when they showcase their roots in Americana music.

And!  I am SO excited to say that I am going to see them perform!  They are playing a show here in Boston tomorrow night.  We had to pay about 5 times face value to get tickets, but I know it will be worth it.  I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. how exciting!! I've been listening to them nonstop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, i downloaded one of their songs when it was free on itunes and really enjoyed it. have fun at the concert--you'll have a blast, i'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I've been meaning to come over here and leave a little comment. Thank you for your kind words and support on my blog. One of the things I love most about blogging is making connections with other people who love music as much as I do.

    We have very similar taste in music, and if I am ever in the Boston area, we will have to meet up and catch a show together.

    I am so happy that you are going to see The Civil Wars this weekend. [slightly jealous ;]

    Have a BLAST! And sing along on C'est la Mort for me, will ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i'm already addicted. i kept mistaking him for johnny depp in the video. i can't believe they're going to be at sxsw, i'm usually there but alas....europe is too far, i suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...