August 11, 2008

I Love the Olympics - Opening Ceremony

It's not like I sit around waiting for The Olympics to get here, and I don't follow most of the olympic sports or recognize most of the athletes' names, but every couple years, I get pulled in.

I love learning about the host city/country. I love watching the opening ceremonies. I am amazed at the creativity and the grandeur. I love watching the athletes parade in, and I love trying to guess where some of the small countries are located. (It was during this activity that I added 'atlas' to my Christmas list. Thankfully, I now own one and can keep it handy. My geography is getting better.)

If you didn't watch the opening ceremony Friday night, you missed something special. There was a point when I asked, "What's operating those things", and K and I assumed it must be computerized or hydraulics or something. It was too precise. Too coordinated. Too cool. Our jaws literally dropped when the segment ended and people appeared. People! Thousands of people, executing flawlessly in unison. It was a sight to behold.

Via the NY Times, here are some of the gorgeous images from the opening ceremony.






2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. That was UNBELIEVABLE!!! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it as much as we did...we are still in awe of it all. And, we have been glued to tv every night. Its so fun! Also - so so so sorry about your computer. I cannot imagaine. Thanks for the reminder, we need to back things up. Keep me posted, I am sure the geek squad can save the day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14.8.08

    I enjoyed the opening ceromonies immensely as well. You are right on the money.

    BTW, I picked your vivaterra link on kirtsy as an editor's pick, it was really awesome. You have many great picks, so I'll keep an eye out for them.

    Angela (moonfever0 on kirtsy)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...