August 18, 2008

Family

I got a chance to spend some time with my extended family this weekend. Although the gathering was the result of a sad event, I will stay true to the purpose behind this blog and focus on the positives. This was not a planned reunion, but rather a last-minute gathering that pulled together people from all parts of the country.

I continue to be struck by how wonderful my family is, even though we don't see each other very often. We are a large family - 31 cousins in my generation (I think - I always get that number wrong). Our family reunions and summers spent at our cottages on Lake Ontario are among the best memories of my childhood.

There is so much love in the room when I'm surrounded by these people - my brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins - and it is plainly obvious that if I ever needed anything, there is no doubt that any one of them would be there for me, as I would be for them. Any time I am able to spend time with a group of them, I leave feeling uplifted and so incredibly thankful to be a part of this family.

I don't know what my point is with this post. Well.....yes, I do. I am feeling very thankful for my family right now, so I wanted to share that and to tell you to cherish your family. Make sure you're doing your part to keep in touch and stay a part of the lives of your family members, even if you live far apart. The relationships you have with your family and friends are the most important thing you have, so take good care of them.


*This picture was taken more than 25 years ago at our cottages on Lake Ontario. It's a group of my siblings and cousins, and that's me in the blue pants in the lower right corner.

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your big family! Mine was small to begin with and seems to just shrink as time goes on. Plus half my family is in Korea, so I've only met them once when I was six years old. I'd love to have a big, tight-knit family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great family photo. i meant to commment on this post sooner. sounds like you had some sad news, so sorry. however, your blog is working b/c you put a positive spin on it all as you do so well. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...