July 26, 2013

Newport Folk Festival - Preview


It is time!  Time for our 2nd Annual Trip to the Newport Folk Festival.  I do hope we're able to keep this tradition going for many years.  This year, Kevin's sisters and brother-in-law will be joining us, so there will be more hands available to help with the boys, and I think it will be fun to have a group together to enjoy the music.  If you'd like to listen or watch any of the shows, NPR will be streaming live and posting concerts all weekend.  I will definitely have it on today. 

I have stared at the schedule for a couple weeks now, and I think I've resigned myself to our approach for the day.  It is so difficult to choose between so many wonderful artists!  But I also have to consider the boys in the equation, so running from stage to stage too much is not really an option.  For example, in choosing between Sarah Jarosz and Nicki Bluhm, I ended up choosing Nicki primarily because she's playing at the main stage.  I'm really bummed not to get to see Sarah, but Nicki & The Gramblers will be a lot of fun to watch. 


We will hopefully see a little bit of Langhorne Slim before heading to one of the smaller stages to see The Lone Bellow.  The boys like them, and they are one of the bands I've been most looking forward to.  



Another extremely tough decision, but I think that instead of sticking around to watch Shovels & Rope, we will rush back to the main stage to see Frank Turner.  If I hear just this one song, I will be happy.  It's one of my current favorites.



We will see some of Jim James, and then I'm thinking I'd like to go watch Jason Isbell.  (Or Father John Misty, oh geez.)  I haven't been a fan of Jason's for a long time, but his latest album, Southeastern, is really really good.  The song below is heartbreakingly sad, but so beautiful.



Then we could watch some of Justin Townes Earle or get back to watch Trombone Shorty - that'll be a game-day decision.  That's all in preparation for the headliners!  I put this song on last night after dinner, and Aaron sang all the words and danced around the room.  Yep - he's ready.  

So am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...