September 23, 2011

Pearl Jam 20

Photo by Danny Clinch via NPR

Has it really been twenty years?  I still remember listening to Pearl Jam's "Ten" when it first came out.  One of my guy friends had it on nonstop at his apartment.  If there was a soundtrack to my senior year of high school, this album would feature prominently, along with Red Hot Chili Peppers ("Blood Sugar Sex Magik" - I still remember my mom's reaction to that album title), and Nirvana's "Nevermind".  Before that, I had been in a Depeche Mode/The Cure/The Smiths (pretty depressing Brit-pop/rock) phase.  I was happy to be broken out of it.

Pearl Jam has remained one of my favorite bands, I look forward to each new album, and I love to see them live.  I've been flipping through the new book this week, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing Cameron Crowe's documentary, celebrating their twentieth anniversary.

Here's a little glimpse of the movie:


And this post just wouldn't do without a little music.  So hard to choose....but here's a cool one.  An acoustic version of "Thumbing My Way".  


So now I'm curious...what were you listening to your senior year of high school?

2 comments:

  1. I was listening to the EXACT SAME STUFF! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Of course U2 Achtung Baby was HEAVY in the rotation as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have stood by Pearl Jam through the years! Such a consistently creative sound, though some albums more my taste than others. Eddie Vedder will never cease to entertain me. Thanks for pointing out this documentary to me. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...