September 20, 2011

Eat Your Veggies...

image from smitten kitchen

Don't you just love zucchini?  It's such a versatile vegetable.  Neither of my boys will eat zucchini on its own, and they've even taken to picking it out of pasta and other dishes, so I've had to get a little sneakier with it.  Luckily, it's pretty easy to do.  Here are a few recipes I made last week to use up several zucchini I picked up at the market.  My boys ate a bunch of the green stuff!

Zucchini, Banana, and Flax Seed Muffins - My big boy helped me make these.  He loves peeling and smashing bananas, and measuring out all the ingredients.  We subbed in a little whole wheat flour to make them even healthier, and I increased the banana as well.  These were so tasty, and we enjoyed them for breakfast.  My little boy could not get enough of them.

Spaghetti and Meatballs - This is my old standby meatball recipe, but I now only use 1/2 lb turkey, along with grated zucchini and/or carrot.  I only used zucchini this time, so they were a bit green, but once they were covered in sauce, nobody was the wiser.  They went down just as fast (and made just as big a mess) as they always do.

Goat Cheese and Roasted Corn Quesadillas - My boys love these quesadillas, so I thought I'd take a chance by dicing up some zucchini and cooking it along with the corn.  It worked, and they were really good too!

5 comments:

  1. Three delicious recipes, though here in the UK they are courgettes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are the exact same when it comes to zucchini. In fact, I'm making lasagna tonight, and we have zucchini in our fridge (that we need to use!)... I wasn't planning on it, but now I'm sneaking it in.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to put shredded veggies into a meatball. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Trifle Rushed - I knew that was the French word for them but didn't realize that's what you called them in the UK too. Cool!

    Torrie - Just cut them up really fine so they don't see the zucchini chunks. Good luck!

    Hollie - If you're interested, you should check out this post as well for a great veggie meatball recipe: http://heart-of-light.blogspot.com/2010/08/meat-veggie-balls.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut them super, super fine (and did the same with carrots, since we have a TON)... It was WONDERFUL! (and they asked for 2nds!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...