September 9, 2010

Smoothies

source unknown - sorry!

I mentioned how much fun I've had with homemade popsicles this summer.  I was a little worried that the big boy would be upset when they ended, but he's transitioned nicely back into the nights where fruit is the only dessert.  I haven't stopped making smoothies yet, though.

A few times a week, I have enjoyed making smoothies as a part of our breakfast routine.  Besides being yummy, it's yet another way to sneak things into his diet.  The big boy now refers to flax seed as his "special ingredient".  I had never made a smoothie before, and now that I know how easy they are, I will continue to do it quite often in the warmer months.

I basically wing it, but the general outline goes something like this:

1/2 cup of plain organic yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp flax seed
1 cup or so of fresh/frozen fruit

If you use fresh fruit, you'll need to add ice cubes to give the smoothie the consistency you want.  I prefer using frozen fruit, or a mix.  Freeze those brown bananas - if you use 1/2 a banana, you really don't need to add the honey, because it helps sweeten it up.  My favorite is undoubtedly strawberry/pineapple, although this morning's mango/pineapple/banana was pretty awesome.  The big boy claims that every single one is his favorite, although I think he likes the purple varieties (berries!).  If you use blueberries, you can also sneak in some spinach or other greens without the little ones noticing.

Now I need to start thinking about what my cold-weather breakfast/dessert go-to items will be.   I'm thinking I need a yummy recipe to get the big boy to request oatmeal more often.  Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Ha! I don't know how you're going to sneak oatmeal by the big boy! I like it as is. But the smoothies are wonderful!! And when I remember to cut and freeze the bananas the night before, they are a great breakfast for me too! The potassium peps me up!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...