April 12, 2011

Things I've Learned...as a Mom

from beyondtherack.com via Pinterest

'Things I've Learned', the Mom edition.  I've only been a mom for 4 1/2 years, so I am obviously still learning.  Here are a few things I've learned so far...

1.  There is no such thing as privacy when you have little kids.  Moms shower and use the bathroom with an audience.  (I wonder when this ends?)
2.  You won't get sick by eating food off the floor.  Even if it's been there for a week. 
3.  Moms can function pretty highly on very litle sleep.  For years. 
4.  Moms also make mistakes.  Apologize and move on.  We can all try to be our best, but nobody's perfect. 
5.  Tastes change quickly.  Favorite foods and meals one week are met with a whiny "but I don't want that!" the next. 
6.  Every day starts at the same time, regardless of bedtime the night before.
7.  Sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away and take a deep breath.  
8.  Often the best toys are not toys at all - keys, laundry basket, straws, scotch tape, pots and pans...
9.  I have gained super powers - I can make them giggle with only a look or a wiggling of my fingers in the air.
10.  Kids will do what they see you do - the good and the bad.  There's nothing like having a child to motivate you to be your best self. 
11.  Sometimes only Mom will do.
12.  There is nothing more beautiful than a sleeping child.
13. I know the names of all types of trucks, tractors, dinosaurs, and bugs (can you tell I have boys?)
14.  It's essential to be prepared.  Snacks are the most important thing.  More important than diapers even.  There's nothing worse than a hungry kid (or Mom, for that matter).  But I try to remember the diapers too.
15.  They're only dirty floors.  Big deal.
16.  Little brothers grow up faster, because they want to do everything their big brother is doing.  My little guy is absolutely fearless. 
17.  If you want your kids to love books, read to them every night.  Let them see you reading.  Fill your house with books. 
18.  There's no such thing as child-proof.  They'll figure out how to climb it, open it, jump off it, eat it, or run into it, so keep your eye on them.  And when they fall anyway, just be there to give them lots of hugs.
19.  Crayon markings can be removed from a painted wall using baby oil.
20.  After-dinner dance sessions are a perfectly acceptable form of exercise.

2 comments:

  1. oh how true all of these are! It doesn't matter how often I vacuum, there's always an old dried up pea that gets left behind, and my child always seems to find it and eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i might just have to copy this list down in my "marriage book" :) gets me excited and nervous at the same time for that day to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...