September 5, 2008

Juliana Hatfield


One of the strange things about getting older is watching the musicians you love getting older with you. It's a little weird to think of someone in their 40s or 50s playing rock concerts every night. (I can't imagine how strange it must be for Rolling Stones fans to see those guys still running around on stage!) In some cases, artists seem to look lost as they get older, like they never expected it to happen, and they keep trying to make the same music they did when they were in their 20s. It doesn't always (usually doesn't) work. In other cases, they actually mature, and their music matures with them.

The inspiration of today's ramblings is Juliana Hatfield. She's 41, and she has a new album out. Juliana also wrote her memoirs, which are coming out soon. Check out a recent article in the NY Times. I don't have the new album yet - it's on its way - but I like what I've heard, and it's getting good reviews. I'm looking forward to listening to it in its entirety.

If you don't know Juliana by name, you'd probably recognize a song or two of hers - she had a song on the Reality Bites soundtrack, and a few on the radio, especially here in Boston, where she's from. I've been a fan for a long time, and thankfully I think she falls into the category of someone whose music has changed along with her. And as I grow older, I continue to appreciate it. It's still rocking, don't get me wrong, but fans who love her purely for her Blake Babies days may not like her more recent albums. They can be more introspective and emotional.

Give a listen to her recent performance on The Tonight Show and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...