...when you don't know what to make for dinner. I'm sure we all have a list of these. Stand-by meals. The ones we always have the ingredients for, the ones we make when we're feeling lazy or just don't have the energy to pull something new together. Here is what's on my list:
- Quesadillas - I always have tortillas, black beans, and cheese (I keep shredded cheese in the freezer) on hand. I add to that whatever I might need to use up - half a red pepper, cilantro, corn...
- Pasta - This is on everyone's list, right? There's nothing easier than pasta and sauce. When I make sauce, I try to freeze half. Also another easy dish in which to throw any extra veggies.
- Soup and Grilled Cheese - I always freeze half of my homemade soups, so I often have soup I can pull out to enjoy, but I am certainly not above opening a can of Progresso either. Tomato Basil is a favorite of my boys.
- Breakfast - My husband is not a fan of breakfast for dinner, but my boys and I often enjoy eggs or pancakes when he's traveling.
- Pizza - I always used to make my own pizzas, but I've chosen to enjoy ordering pizza as an easy way of taking a night off of cooking dinner for the family. We do this once or twice a month. Although...I've also recently enjoyed making mini-pizzas on whole wheat english muffins. Top with a little sauce, fresh mozzarella, and any veggies you might need to use up.
- Paninis - Hot sandwiches (ham/turkey and cheese, tuna melt...) are another easy option. I've made these more often since I got a nice big grill pan. Serve with fresh fruit or soup.
- Pierogies - I often have a box of these in the freezer. I typically serve with cinnamon apples, so I usually choose this when I have a few apples that need to be used up. And peas, which brings me to vegetables...
It is easy to keep lots of fresh veggies in the house in the summertime, but I find it to be more difficult in the colder months. I always have potatoes, onions, and carrots; and the three veggies I always keep in my freezer are corn, peas, and chopped broccoli. They are super easy to microwave and add to any of these quick meals. They are also vegetables that my boys will eat.
So now I'm curious...What's on your dinner stand-by list?