February 3, 2016

Recently Read


Don't Suck, Don't Die, by Kristin Hersh.
Kristin Hersh is one of my all-time favorites. I loved Rat Girl, and I will be willing and excited to read anything she writes. I knew Vic Chesnutt's music a little, but I confess that I didn't know that much about him. I knew he was a songwriter, and I knew he was paralyzed. I did not know that he only had limited use of his hands. After reading this book, I almost feel like I knew him personally. Kristin writes with such raw accessibility and honesty - she doesn't hold anything back. The good and the bad are all here. We get to know this beautiful and broken man through his music and through his relationship with one of his best friends. Highly recommend, especially if you have any interest in his music.

Thirteen Ways of Looking, by Colum McCann. This book is a collection of short stories. The writing is very good, and I liked some of the stories better than others. Overall, though, it's quite sad. I love Colum McCann's writing, and I enjoyed other books of his, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this one.

The Nightingale, by Kristen Hannah. I loved this book. It drew me in instantly, and the writing is beautiful - I had a clear picture in my mind of every character, every scene, every conversation... I didn't want to put it down, and I found myself going to bed early in order to read. It's set in World War 2, which means it's tragic and difficult to read at times; but overall, it's a beautiful story, and it's one that will continue to stick with me.

 
Kristin Hersh and Vic Chesnutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...