January 27, 2014

Menu of the Week

photos from Cooking Light and Martha Stewart


Red Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
After a weekend that included lots of eating out, Kevin was craving a dinner salad.  This is one of my favorites.  I may have overdone the garlic/vinegar in the dressing a bit this time - it's a tricky balance - but this is such a great winter salad.  The boys ate the sweet potatoes, walnuts, and green beans along with some fish sticks.  

Almond-Stuffed Chicken, Asparagus, Roasted Acorn Squash
An old favorite.  Aaron especially loves this chicken.  Nathan especially loves the squash.  

Penne with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce, Salad
I thought I remembered enjoying this pasta, but either I did something wrong this time, or I remembered incorrectly.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  I probably won't make it again.

Potato and Onion Frittata w/ Asparagus, Salad, Toast
This is my starter recipe when making frittatas.  I added the leftover asparagus and a little cheddar on top.  So good, and a very easy veggie dinner option.

Vegetarian Chili, Cornbread
We had this awesome chili at a friend's house, and since we liked it better than the vegetarian chili I usually make, I asked for the recipe.  It's adapted from a recipe that she clipped from a magazine years ago, and I'm documenting it here so I have it saved.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 cup of scallions, finely chopped
1 cup of cilantro, chopped
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
2-4 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can pinto beans, rinsed
1 can small white beans, rinsed
1 box/bag frozen corn, defrosted (can go light on the corn and add an extra can of beans - personal preference)
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
 
Heat oil in pan over med.  Heat - add garlic, pepper, scallions.  Cook until tender (~8 - 10 min.).  Add tomoatoes, chipotle pepper, chili power, cumin, salt, cook 2 more minutes.  Add all beans, corn, veggie broth and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook and additional 30 min.  Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...