October 18, 2013

Little Things...


I'm growing tired of house projects.  They feel so good when complete, but the before and during parts can be so miserable.  We are done with the big stuff, but of course a house is never "done".  We need a new front door and need a couple new interior doors.  With an old house, we've opted to use real solid wood, salvaged doors.  We also want to undo some of the fixes that were made to the house over the years to restore it to its original look and feel.  It can be really difficult to find people who can work on old houses, so this project has been hanging over my head for months and I just want it to be done.  I'm frustrated.

In the meantime, though, I'm enjoying the gorgeous Fall weather and the anticipation of the holiday season.  It starts with Halloween, and I'm actually going with homemade costumes this year.  Wish me luck.  I'm psyched the boys wanted to do the same thing.  Once Halloween is behind us, then the real planning begins.  Meal planning, collecting gift ideas, party invitations...  Now those are fun projects.

I have also been reminded that I've been slacking on documenting my gratitude here lately.  Perhaps I need to get back into a weekly rhythm.  A few things for which I am very grateful...

* Seasons.  One of the many reason I love living where I do.  We get four seasons, in all their glory.  I'm especially grateful for that this time of year, during the best season of all.  The season of pumpkins, mums, squash chowder, apple pie, leaf piles, blue skies, crisp air, and the World Series.

* Bookstores.  The family participated in a reading contest - reading bingo - through the library over the summer.  We won the grand prize!  Included in a big gift bag was a gift certificate to a bookstore I had never been to before.  I went by myself last week, and I spent almost two hours perusing the aisles. I forgot how much fun that is.  I used to do that all the time, finding a comfy chair in a corner to read for a while.  I didn't stay to read, but I did walk out with a new and fun stack of books.

* Discovering a song I can play on the guitar.  I am not a very good guitar player, but I do love it.  And I especially love when I find songs that I can play and sing.  A couple days ago, Brandi Carlile came on in the car, singing "Keep Your Heart Young".  It sounded simple enough, so I tried it out when I got home.  I'm having fun singing it and getting the callouses on my fingers thick again.

I'm also very grateful for weekends and the fun that they often bring.  Tomorrow includes a baby shower for my sister-in-law.  I'm excited to see her growing belly and to see everyone's collective joy as we celebrate her.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...