May 4, 2009

The Reader

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I recently finished reading "The Reader", by Bernard Schlink. It is well-written, but simple enough that it is a very fast read. I read it in three days, which is an accomplishment for someone who has a hard time keeping her eyes open once her head hits the pillow. That must say something about how engaging it is.

It is not the type of book that will make you cry - I don't think the author really gets you close enough to the characters to achieve that - but it is one that will keep you entertained and will make you think. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie eventually, but I almost always prefer the books over the movies anyway. If you're looking for something to add to your nightstand pile, I'd recommend this one.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5.5.09

    Yeah, I totally saw this movie and had no idea what it was about. But I love Kate Winslet and she was amazing in it. And the boy in it is a cutie patooty. Very not uplifting though. But I doubt it's the kind of movie that you will say-eh, the book was way better. So check it out. I can't believe you read a book in 3 days!!! You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...