November 10, 2011

Recently Read - Cutting for Stone


Summary: Marion and Shiva Stone are twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon. Orphaned by their mother’s death and their father’s disappearance, bound together by a preternatural connection and a shared fascination with medicine, the twins come of age as Ethiopia hovers on the brink of revolution.

Moving from Addis Ababa to New York City and back again, Cutting for Stone is an unforgettable story of love and betrayal, medicine and ordinary miracles—and two brothers whose fates are forever intertwined. -- Vintage

I loved this book.  It is a fat novel that requires some effort to get through, but it is totally worth it.  It is an ambitious and complex narrative, and the writing is beautiful.  My only critique is that while the medicine is an essential part to the story, there are a few parts that are told in an excruciating and seemingly unnecessary level of detail.  I found them to be a bit distracting and wanted to get back to the story.  It's a small criticism, though.  In other places, the medical details are a fascinating part of the book.    Overall, the book is beautiful, and I truly cared about all of the characters.  I highly recommend.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11.11.11

    I was deterred by reviews describing the medical "goriness". Will have to reconsider! Have you read the Hunger Games series? Took a few attempts to get interested in the first book, but once I did I could not put them down. Anne of Green Gables is still my all time favorite! If you haven't read or it's been a while you should add to your list. A wonderful way to end your day....reading of the adventures of an eternal optimist! Kristen from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently listened to this on audio. I had a busy month so I decided to listen instead of read. I'm glad I did. Loved the story and the characters as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...