July 29, 2011

Random Thoughts...


photo credit:  katy elliott

I'm listening to the Newport Folk Festival Mix as I type, and I'm having too much fun to figure out what to say.  Actually, I've found it difficult lately to quiet my mind in general.  Maybe I should turn off the music!  And my computer and my TV and my phone.  I feel the strongest need to unplug and be still.  Oh, vacation cannot come fast enough!  Just a couple more weeks.  I don't think it will allow me to be still - I am bringing my boys with me, after all - but I will definitely unplug.  
via the lovely Louise at Lou Boos and Shoes

I am very plugged in this week.  I've been working a lot, and I've been listening to a lot of news.  Not exactly sure why, but there's something fascinating about watching our government fumble around and trip all over itself.  It's like watching a car wreck.  There's nothing I can do - I've already written, emailed, and tweeted my congressman and senator - but I continue to listen and watch, resulting in ever-increasing frustration.   I have always prided myself in being able to listen to and respect both sides of an argument, and I'd like to think I'd be able to make compromises when necessary.  It does take an effort sometimes to keep an open mind, and I actually put in effort to spend time listening to people whose opinions are different than my own.  I truly do not understand why my elected officials are not able to do the same.  Actually, I don't understand why a lot of people are not able to do the same.

It's been an okay week, despite the busyness and an illness for my big boy.  He got to spend a couple days at home with his mom, which of course just increased the chaos for me.  He seems to be on the mend, although he collapsed in bed tonight like he needed to sleep for a few days.  Hopefully another long sleep will set him right.  I love the snuggles, but I love watching him gallop around and squeal and play a thousand times more.  In the midst of the craziness, I actually managed to exercise every day this week.  I am sore and I feel good.  I did an especially satisfying yoga session last night, and although I didn't look quite like this picture, my body appreciated the effort.


So now we arrive at the weekend.  We are going to a cookout with friends on Sunday afternoon, but we are otherwise wide open.  This is always okay by me.  I'm sure we'll do the usual stop by the farmer's market, run some errands, and the typical Summer activities like eating popsicles and running through the sprinkler.  (Speaking of popsicles, I think I've made the best flavor yet!  More to come on that...)  Since I happen to have some feta, and the guy at the market always talks me into an extra cucumber or two, I'm thinking we'll be enjoying these tomorrow as well...

Okay, I need to turn the music up loud now and pour myself another drink.  To the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it takes a bit of effort to appreciate both sides of an argument. I'm so bad about immediately dismissing things that I disagree with.

    I've also been feeling the need to unplug from the world. I have such a love/hate relationship with technology.

    I hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    I've just found your blog, it's lovely. I hope you get a chance to unplug, it's vital!
    Jude x

    ps on your why I blog page you have a sweet banner (I love blogging). Is it ok to copy it onto my blog? x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...