May 6, 2008

Healthy List

Inspired by yet another blog to make yet another list. This blog on Real Simple inspired me to take stock of my healthy and unhealthy habits. I think of myself as a pretty healthy person, but there are always things we can do better. Even the things I'm listing in the 'healthy' column have room for improvement. I think we also tend to think of just food and exercise when it comes to being healthy, but there are so many other aspects of taking care of our bodies and our minds, so it's good to remind ourselves of that as well. Here's my current status, along with my resolution to continue to do better:

My Healthy Habits:
*Eat lots of fruits/vegetables, whole grains, nuts, yogurt...good stuff
*Cook - I have been doing less since having a baby, but I am still managing to cook our meals almost every day (I'm also trying to pack my lunch as often as possible)
*Go meatless several days a week
*Floss my teeth
*Read books
*Visit my dentist every six months and my OB/GYN every year
*Wear sunscreen
*Keep in close contact with my friends and family
*Check food labels to try to stick to "real" and natural foods (I am currently on a mission to eliminate high-fructose corn syrup from my diet - a daunting task!)
*Take a multi-vitamin
*Don't smoke. Duh.
*Avoid caffeine completely
*Take walks and dance with the little boy; park far away from stores to encourage walking; walk to see people at work instead of calling
*Have the occasional beer or glass of wine

Room for Improvement:
*Eat ice cream every day - this is something I will never ever give up. It may not be entirely healthy for my body, but it's good for the soul.
*Don't get regular rigorous exercise or strength training
*Get only 7 hours of sleep at night
*Don't visit a dermatologist, opthalmologist
*Don't always wash my face before bed or put lotion/cream on
*Wear my contacts longer than recommended (I do at least take them out every night, though!)
*Don't always buy organic fruits/veggies (I'm trying, but sometimes the price is just stupid, so I'm at least trying to wash them thoroughly)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...