I was by myself with the boys this weekend. Previously the thought of that sent me into panic mode, and I'd spend time planning out activities to keep us all entertained (and sane). Little by little, though, I feel things getting easier. Shifting, anyway - I know parenting will never be easy. My 4-year-old is now just a cool little kid I have the awesome pleasure of hanging out with - he's also a pretty good helper to me most of the time. My 2-year-old is turning into a 2-year-old, I'm afraid, but he's getting lower-maintenance in a lot of ways as well. It's nice. We had a fun time together this weekend.
Highlights from the weekend:
1. The farmer's market is gorgeous right now. I bought each boy their own half-pint of raspberries, and they were gone before we left. I had to go buy some more.
2. We spent an amazing afternoon at a friend's house, swimming in their pool, enjoying dinner, and riding bikes. The big guy swam on his own (life vest on) for the first time - he hasn't had much experience in pools, so this was huge and very exciting. He had a blast. He spent two hours in the pool and had to be dragged out for dinner.
3. I finally watched "True Grit". As expected, it was very good.
4. When I asked my big boy what we should do while the little guy was napping, he said, "I think we should sit on the front porch, read some books, and eat blueberries." It would have been impossible for me to come up with a more perfect suggestion, so that's exactly what we did.
5. Blueberry bran muffins. It initially seemed wrong to turn on the oven on such a gorgeous summer day, but I am glad I did.
Goals for this week:
1. Go to bed earlier. My mind needs the peace and quiet of those after-bedtime hours, but my body needs more sleep. I need to find a better balance of the two.
2. Plan next week's work trip. I haven't traveled for work in a couple years - I think I've forgotten how to do it.
4. Pencil in some fun weekend plans for the remainder of the July weekends.