June 21, 2011

A Few Menu Ideas


Oh, I just love summer food.  My son said to me the other day that he wished he was me.  I asked him why, and he said, "I wish I loved vegetables as much as you do."  I assured him that if he kept trying them, he'd grow up to love them too.  He already does really well, so I am confident in saying this.

We've been eating a lot of seafood lately.  It's just so easy to buy something from the farmer's market - fresh fish straight from the harbor.  It's so good, healthy, simple to prepare; and my big boy may not love all his vegetables, but he does love seafood. 

Here's a look at a few of the meals we've enjoyed lately:

Grilled Haddock with Mango Salsa, Brown Rice - Mangos were on sale last week, which was a great excuse to make this salsa.  Both of the boys gobbled this up!  And...they both really liked the brown rice too.

 Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas, Black Beans - I generally like to keep my Mexican-themed meals vegetarian, but this recipe looked so good that I wanted to try it.  I like incorporating different vegetables, and I loved the combo of zucchini, corn, and monterey jack.  You could make them vegetarian, but I think they would need another veggie - red peppers, perhaps? 

Mussels, Lemon Spaghetti, Salad (speckled romaine, cherry tomatoes, marinated feta) - Enjoying the bounty from the farmer's market.  I love that my 4-year-old does not hesitate to pop mussels into his mouth and declare them yummy.

Grilled Chicken/Portobello Sandwiches with Cheddar and Pesto, Salad, Corn on the Cob - My little boy and I enjoyed the portobello while the rest had chicken.  We cooked the corn on the grill - wrapped in foil with olive oil, salt/pepper, and parmesan.  Yum!

Mustard-Maple Salmon, Peas, Brown Rice - A good Monday night meal.  Salmon from the market, frozen peas, and instant brown rice.  Easy peasy. 


Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes, and Green Beans, Salad, Fruit - Love this easy dish, and more importantly, my boys do too!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous21.6.11

    i'm inspired to diversify my repetoire...thanks. skf

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah aww that story is so cute. I wish my boyfriend wishes he loved vegetables as much as your son wishes he loved them. Ya folla? Good, coz I'm not sure I do...heheh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...