March 4, 2011

The Decemberists - Down by the Water

This week's music pick is The Decemberists.  I've been listening to their new album, The King Is Dead, a lot over the last couple weeks.  I love it.  My son is loving it too, which makes me happy.  I love that his musical taste is expanding.  His favorite song is "Down by the Water", and I'm working on being able to play it on the guitar for him.  I can't decide on a favorite.  I've listened to The Decemberists for a while now, and I particularly love their lyrics - interesting thoughts and gorgeous words that enhance the beauty of the songs.  As a small example, here's how 'June Hymn' begins...

Here's a hymn to welcome in the day
Heralding a summer's early sway

And all the bulbs all coming in,
To begin
The thrushes bleating battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again

I listen to it and dream of Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...