December 6, 2010

Movies I Like to Watch During the Holidays

My husband is out of town this week, and he'll be traveling next week as well.  I've decided to use the time to wrap presents and watch movies (and blog a little).  I am also reminded that we are out of hot cocoa - mental note to pick some up this week! 

What are your favorite movies to watch during the holiday season?  The list below was from an old post I created a couple years agoStephmodo inspired me to re-post it.  (It boggles my mind to realize I've kept this little blog up for this long!)  My list hasn't really changed, although I added Little Women to it.  I don't watch all of these movies every year, but I often watch most of them.  And yes, I cry during almost all of them.

Hmmmm....what to watch tonight...

1. Miracle on 34th Street - The 2000 version is just wrong. Stick with the original.
2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Totally silly. Just a fun one for everyone.
3. It's a Wonderful Life - Makes me cry every single time. "To my big brother, George - the richest man in town." (I seriously teared up just typing that.)
4. A Christmas Carol - I prefer the George C. Scott version, although I am fond of the old b&w Alistair Sim version as well. It was my dad's favorite.
5. A Christmas Story - People typically love this movie or hate it completely. It cracks me up.
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - Okay, this one isn't a movie (I've never seen the movie and have no plans to), but it's a great 30 minutes! I am pretty sure I can recite the entire thing by heart.
7. A Charlie Brown Christmas - We typically put this on while decorating the tree. I love how one scraggly branch becomes a cute (and full!) Christmas tree. And you gotta love Linus and that blanket.
8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Ah, the land of the misfit toys. I also love Frosty the Snowman.
9. Love Actually - Somehow this has turned into an annual tradition as well - I think I've watched it every year since it came out.  The scene where the little kids make Hugh Grant's character sing a Christmas carol to them cracks me up every time.
10.  Little Women - Very sweet and beautiful movie.
Honorable mention:   I've actually enjoyed the predictable and kinda cheesy The Family Man in recent years as well.  

5 comments:

  1. little women and love actually are two of my faaaaavorite holiday movies, too. great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never love anyone as I love my sisters

    I feel it in my fingers. I feel it in my toes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm casting my vote for "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Love Actually," and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas is an all-time fave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list, going to order "Little Women" on Amazon, my daughter read and loved it this year :)

    We love The Grinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Charlie Brown! I do enjoy the Jim Carey Grinch as well- it is entertaining.

    We must all have movies on our minds! Not surprising given the wintery weather...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...