December 6, 2010
Movies I Like to Watch During the Holidays
What are your favorite movies to watch during the holiday season? The list below was from an old post I created a couple years ago. Stephmodo inspired me to re-post it. (It boggles my mind to realize I've kept this little blog up for this long!) My list hasn't really changed, although I added Little Women to it. I don't watch all of these movies every year, but I often watch most of them. And yes, I cry during almost all of them.
Hmmmm....what to watch tonight...
1. Miracle on 34th Street - The 2000 version is just wrong. Stick with the original.
2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Totally silly. Just a fun one for everyone.
3. It's a Wonderful Life - Makes me cry every single time. "To my big brother, George - the richest man in town." (I seriously teared up just typing that.)
4. A Christmas Carol - I prefer the George C. Scott version, although I am fond of the old b&w Alistair Sim version as well. It was my dad's favorite.
5. A Christmas Story - People typically love this movie or hate it completely. It cracks me up.
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - Okay, this one isn't a movie (I've never seen the movie and have no plans to), but it's a great 30 minutes! I am pretty sure I can recite the entire thing by heart.
7. A Charlie Brown Christmas - We typically put this on while decorating the tree. I love how one scraggly branch becomes a cute (and full!) Christmas tree. And you gotta love Linus and that blanket.
8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Ah, the land of the misfit toys. I also love Frosty the Snowman.
9. Love Actually - Somehow this has turned into an annual tradition as well - I think I've watched it every year since it came out. The scene where the little kids make Hugh Grant's character sing a Christmas carol to them cracks me up every time.
10. Little Women - Very sweet and beautiful movie.
Honorable mention: I've actually enjoyed the predictable and kinda cheesy The Family Man in recent years as well.