March 13, 2013

Spending Time...

photo by Scott McFadyen

I've been at home for a while now, and I feel like I'm finally at ease with my new routine.  At first, it was a harder transition than I expected.  I found that there were parts of my working life that I missed - adult conversation, quiet alone time, using my brain to solve work problems...   I must also admit that being with the kids for longer periods of time is wonderful in so many ways, but it can also be challenging.  I needed to take a step back and re-learn how to prepare myself for each week.

The other thing I noticed was that there was all of a sudden so much time!  I started asking myself, "What do I want to get out of each day?" and "How do I ensure that I'm taking care of myself in addition to my family?".  Little by little, I started figuring it out.

I now begin every weekday with a large glass of water and exercise.  I've been focused on improving the food we are eating - I'm cooking every day, trying new meals, increasing our veggies, making more homemade.  I eat a nice, big, relaxed lunch.  It's an entertaining lunch, too, usually involving conversations about superheroes with Nathan.  I'm (mostly) going to bed earlier and getting enough sleep.  This is huge.  I spend time every day cleaning part of the house so that it doesn't overwhelm me.  I also spend time every week organizing part of the house so that it doesn't overwhelm me.  I plan ahead - for weekends, vacations, unexpected snow days, and summer.  I'm getting caught up on doctors appointments.  I read good books.  I get outside.  I play my guitar.  I wear comfortable clothes.  I put on loud music and dance around the house.


When I go back and read old posts, the difference to me is striking.  The stress of trying to fit everything in comes flooding back.  I know that I will go back to work, and I want to for many reasons; but I can't go back to the way it was before.  There has to be a middle ground.  I will have to find a job that allows me to contribute at work as well as take care of myself and my family.  That's not for a while yet, though.  In the meantime, I'm going to get as much out of this time as possible.  I'm going to continue to make goals for myself and to enjoy this time with my boys.  I'll figure out the next step once it's time to take it.
photo by Alicia Bock

2 comments:

  1. My little girl has become so wise - and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...this is such a pleasure to read because you are having the same realisation that I had! Of course I have now gone monumentally backwards and returned to work BUT I still have the glimpse of what life can be like. I just need to work out whether it's possible to get back there AND work. I am so pleased for you though - I remember when you first told me that you would finish working for a bit and that you had trepidation about it. It's worked out beautifully hasn't it? I suspect as well that ditching all that scheduling stress makes for a much happier home. Remember that day-in-a-life post you did for my blog? See how far you've come... Lou x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...