February 24, 2012

Thinking About...

Painting by Philipp Haager - This is what today feels like

*It's a gray and rainy Friday.  It's the end of a rather grueling work week, and I am so grateful for a break.

*This article from the Washington Post seems to be making the rounds again.  I read the entire thing again and was inspired to put on the soundtrack from The Red Violin.   If you haven't read it, you should.  It will make you stop and look around at all the beauty in life a bit more.  (By the way, have you seen that movie?  Oh you really should.)

*I'm a little worried about my tulips.  The tulips, daffodils, and crocuses are peeking out right now.  It seems a bit early, although this Winter has been unbelievably mild.  For their sake, I hope we don't have a bitterly cold spell.  It's their fault that I am already looking forward to Spring.

*I'm also a little worried about all the design decisions that will need to be made this year.  I've been thinking about my new kitchen for years, but now it's time to start making choices.  Countertops, cabinet doors, faucets, towel racks, shelves, window treatments...  Not to mention furniture, rugs, pillows, pictures. It honestly stresses me out a bit.  I need to make a list and start checking things off.

*I am loving the conversation taking place on the blogs regarding the French parenting methods.  (Like here and here and here and here.)  I like being reminded that we are the ones in charge.  I also like being reminded to slow down.  Let the kids be bored.  Boredom is the source of so much creativity and insight.  It can be easy to look around at other parents, the ones who have their kids signed up for every class under the sun, and feel distressed that perhaps I'm not doing enough for my kids.  In fact, I know that's not true.  But it's nice to be reminded.

*I am so excited to be going away with a friend tomorrow.  A couple days filled with relaxation, good wine, and the chance to catch up with one of my best friends.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend as well!


4 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend Mary.

    We have had the most blissful couple of early spring days here in London. No heating and the windows open during the day.

    Daylight and light jackets (no hats, gloves etc) on the school run. Heavenly.

    Hope your flowers bloom beautifully

    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mary...I read the article, listened to the music, thought about painting, the stars...family...spot on.. thank you!! Best wishes for a lovely day..
    Jeanne xx:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your time away with your friend! Isn't the Washington Post fascinating - interesting how are responses are often determined by the context of our surroundings. I hope your tulips survive - my bulbs poked their heads through a few weeks back, which alarmed me greatly. And as for children and boredom (theirs that is) - I say a hearty yes! Every kids needs to learn how to be bored, and what to do with themselves. Have a wonderful weekend Mary! Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great weekend!! A getaway with a girlfriend sounds so nice right now!

    Oh, and thanks for the introduction to The Barr Brothers! Great stuff. I can tell we're totally music kindred spirits! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...