December 31, 2008

Bake-Off 2008

*Our cake was supposed to look like this...

Well, this year's edition of the Family Bake-Off is complete, and I'm happy to report that my husband and I were the clear winners! Hooray!

My sister-in-law made this:
Chocolate Glazed Hazelnut Mousse Cake

And we made this:
Devils Food Cake with Peppermint Frosting

Both desserts were very good, but the flavor combination of chocolate and peppermint won everyone over. (Except my SIL, of course.) I have to admit, our cake did not exactly turn out as planned. The frosting really needed a stand mixer to get it to the right consistency, and we didn't have one, so we did our best - it turned out more like a glaze than a marshmallowy frosting. So the end result didn't look as pretty, but all the flavors were there. The cake was yummy, with a chocolate ganache layer and white chocolate/peppermint layer as well. I'm not sure I'd make it again - it was very high-maintenance - but we won!

...but it really looked like this. It still tasted great, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...