July 30, 2009

Food, Inc.



I haven't seen this movie yet, but I'd like to. It's an important topic. If you have an opportunity to watch it, please do. Emily recently watched it and posted about it. From what I've read and seen so far, the basic message is that we can all influence the food industry by the choices we make. Buy from your local farms and farmer's markets when you can. Plant a garden. When you shop at the grocery store, try to buy in season produce and organic when you can. It's more expensive, but it's worth it.

I'll admit that I could do better. I do try to buy primarily organic products when they're available, but I still often buy vegetables and fruits shipped from thousands of miles away. I go meatless several days a week, but I do still eat meat and don't always buy organic. I try to buy products without high-fructose corn syrup (my god it's in everything!), but there are a few things I haven't found good alternatives for (my horseradish for example, oddly enough, and I can be tempted by a good sale on ice cream, cereal bars, etc.). I can do better. And I'm sure you can too. So let's educate ourselves and identify a few ways we can influence the food industry for the better. All-natural food is healthier and tastes better, and it should really be what we all demand.

2 comments:

  1. We definitely want to see it... My hubby is very into health/fitness/nutrition. He's read both of Pollan's books. While all of his new-found knowledge was a bit annoying at first (He quoted and read aloud from the books a LOT), it really meshes well with our goals and just makes so much sense. Thanks for the link to the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thanks for talking about Food, Inc which has certainly generated awareness about what goes in our food and how it affects all facets of our lives. I intern with Meatless Monday, which is a non-profit project of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health that encourages going meatless once a week (a concept that Michael Pollan said was the best way to go green on Oprah!) to improve health and reduce environmental impact. If your looking into eating more meatless meals, check out the website for some incredible recipes (featured this week: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/creamy-pesto-pasta-salad/). For more on the history and science behind the campaign, check out the Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnKeYmR1NM.
    Thanks! Ashwini

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...