April 16, 2014

A Few Things...


I know I haven't written much lately.  Not sure why, except I haven't quite been able to organize my thoughts enough to express them.  I've been reminded of the fragility of life lately, and those heavy thoughts can weigh you down if you let them.  The one-year anniversary of the bombings brought many tributes and articles - mostly hopeful and inspiring stories, but they also brought tears and more heavy thoughts.  

So I go outside, look at the sky, and lift myself up again.  Life is good, full of the little treasures that keep it beautiful.  Hugs and snuggles from my boys, the start of baseball season, blooming daffodils, a (mostly) clean house, the return of Mad Men, a challenging book, good friends, future plans...  Next week brings Easter, Patriot's Day, and a trip to Wilmington, NC.  It is shaping up to be a good one.  I'll find my groove and write more soon, I promise.  In the meantime, more links (some fun, some serious) from around the web...

This is one of the articles I was talking about.  It's about the Richards family, who lost their 8-year-old son in last year's attack.  My heart aches for them.

The trailer for Gone Girl.  I know how it ends, and I still wanna see it.

10 Things This Child of the 80s Wants Her Kids to Know.  Classic list.  Singles seems a bit out of place, but I adore it as much as the others, so I'm okay with its inclusion.

Generation X gets really old: How do slackers have a midlife crisis?  Long, but really interesting article.  I can name quite a few pretty well-accomplished Gen Xers, and of course there will always be exceptions, but it's intriguing to evaluate the entire generation as a whole.  To think about my own personal life, where I fit with the Gen X mold and where I might be a little different.  Much of this resonated with me.

Why Teaching Poetry Is So Important.  I love poetry, and yet I'm not exactly sure where I came by this.  We did spend time on it in high school, but I think it was a college literature class that really drove it home.  I wished I could've taken another class more solely focused on poetry.

The Pernicious Rise of Poptimism.  An interesting take on the current state of music reviewers.

This documentary about Elliott Smith is another movie I want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...