March 12, 2014

Going Solo...


When I was in college, I went out quite a few times by myself.  One of my favorite things to do was to do to a local club to see concerts.  I went with friends a lot, but sometimes I couldn't find anyone to go with me for whatever reason, and I didn't let that stop me from going.  In fact, sometimes I actually preferred going alone.  Seeing music with friends who really like the band is awesome.  You can dance and sing the songs together, discuss your favorites, and it's great.  Seeing music with friends who are ambivalent about who they're watching is not as fun.  I find myself worried about whether or not they're having a good time, and it distracts me from really enjoying the music myself.

I've mentioned Throwing Muses here before.  I've been a fan since college.  Their latest album was their first in ten years, and when I heard they were going to tour a bit as well, I was super excited.  They scheduled a couple shows in Boston, and although I couldn't go to the Friday night show because I was going to be in New York, I found out they were going to come back and do a Monday night show.  I pulled the information up on the computer, and it sat there for a couple weeks.  I was undecided.  Should I go?  Who would I go with?  A Monday night?  I'm not in college any more.  But my husband noticed it, and asked if I was going.  I said I wasn't sure, and he said, "You should just do it.  How many other opportunities will you have to see them?  What if this is the last?"  It was the nudge I needed.   

I couldn't find a friend to go with me, being a Monday night and all.  (And the fact that none of my friends had ever heard of Throwing Muses probably didn't help.)  I also couldn't get a sitter on a Monday night, so I couldn't drag Kevin along.  So I decided to go by myself.  

And it was awesome.

I put a posting on Twitter to try to get rid of my extra ticket, and Tanya Donelly herself replied!  She actually met me at the club, and I tried not to look like I was nervous.  I was so excited to meet her, and she did not disappoint, being cute and sweet and gracious.  I got there early, so I got a good place to stand, and as the club filled up, I didn't move.  I watched.  I listened.  I sang and danced.  I took it all in.  I didn't have to worry about anybody else, and I had the best time.  I'm so happy Kevin pushed me to do it and reminded me that spending time alone is actually pretty wonderful.  

I've gone to movies by myself as well, and even eaten at restaurants solo.  I rather enjoy it, although I haven't done either in long time.  How about you?  Have you ever gone out by yourself?  If so, do you like it?  If not, what's stopping you?  


2 comments:

  1. I go to the movies alone often, but I've never thought of going to a concert alone! I have tickets to a musical festival next month, and my brother was supposed to go with me, but I don't think he's going to be able to make it. I might just try going alone. I'd probably have more fun. I'm the same as you, always worried about the people I'm with and whether or not they're comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post got me thinking, I love time alone......in the house, out with my dog, shopping & maybe a cafe stop, but never movies or concert, it certainly made me wonder - could I do that?
    The second image is great.....& so true :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...