March 26, 2008

Into the Wild

"Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth." — Chris McCandless, expanded on the original quote by Henry David Thoreau

Let me start by saying that I don't go to the movies anymore. I saw two movies at the theater in 2007. I guess that's a typical life with a baby. Anyway, the video availability has finally caught up with us - all those movies that came out in 2007 are now available for the viewing pleasure of us homebodies. So if my movie posts seem a bit dated, well that's just the way it goes.

We actually bought the soundtrack from Into the Wild before seeing the movie. The music is different from typical Pearl Jam - very raw and haunting. It's a short CD, and I'll admit that I didn't quite get it with the first listen, but as I listened to the words, I got drawn in by the music. It is sparse and vocal - a good CD for listening to in the car, particularly if you have the luxury of time and have nowhere to be. Eddie Vedder's voice is perfectly imperfect, and the lyrics are beautiful and thoughtful: "We have a greed, with which we have agreed...and you think you have to want more than you need...until you have it all, you won't be free. Society, you're a crazy breed. I hope you're not lonely, without me."

And then we saw the movie. Of course, I didn't realize it at the time, but the music really is the movie. They are one and the same. It is a remarkable and thought-provoking movie, and yes, sad too, but it's one that you can't really talk about afterwards. At least not until you've let it sink in. If you haven't seen it, see it. If you have, then you already know.

1 comment:

  1. of course we are friends. o and i also watched that movie this week...in fact this reminds me i need to return it. i agree, its great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...