June 13, 2013

It's a Small World...


For the first phase of my career, I was traveling nearly full-time as a consultant.  I spent time in cities across the country - St. Louis, Atlanta, Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, New York, San Francisco...  I even had the opportunity to spend a month in Sydney!  I had more frequent flier miles and hotel points than I knew what to do with - every vacation I took included a free flight and hotel room.  It was a bonus that was well-deserved, given the toll that travel takes after a while.

As a result of that phase of life, I have friends in every corner of the country.  I met some extraordinary people and got a chance to see places I might not have otherwise.  I also learned a great deal and had a lot of fun.  However, I did eventually burn out and make a change, accepting a job that would allow me to establish a life in Boston.

I remember adjusting to that change.  Being home long enough to buy a full gallon of milk, take the trash out on the actual trash day, join a gym, meet up with friends after work on a weekday, take some classes I'd long wanted to take...  It was an adjustment, but it was a good one.  I started to feel like I really lived in Boston rather than just having a Boston address.

This past year, my world has shrunk yet again.  I am in the suburbs now, and I no longer have the daily commute to the city.  I don't get a chance to go out after work, and getting together with friends from different areas requires some planning.  Most days, I travel about two miles - to and from school, and maybe to the grocery store.  My world has become small, and I've realized that this can be a wonderful thing.  I feel more a part of my community than ever.  I see people I know all the time.  Getting together with local friends is easy, and impromptu gatherings are a possibility.  I used to lament the fact that I had a hard time meeting friends, and now our social calendar fills up as quickly as we want it to.

I had fun during those other phases of life.  I sometimes miss my traveling days, and certainly having to pay for flights and hotel rooms is a drag.  I'm happy I got to experience it.  Mostly, though, I'm happy those days are behind me.  I'm creating more than just a life for me - I'm also establishing a home for my family.  A place where we all feel connected.  After my long journey, I've learned that small can be beautiful.

Me in Sydney

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Mary! It does my heart good to see how content you are in the life you've made. A mother couldn't ask for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this Mary....when I am in town for the day, I love the buzz and even the commuting & I always ponder how fun it would be to be doing it again....but actually I like what I have now & when the time came to move on I was ready for it.

    I wrote a response to you on my "book" post earlier but in case you didn't see it, have you read the Jeannette Walls' other book about her mother's childhood....also a great read, it reveals another side to her mother, I'd recommend it Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous14.6.13

    I relate to this so much, Mary. As much as I love all of the adventure.... I'm wasting a lot of milk.
    Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...