December 11, 2017

Recently Read


Men Explain Things to Me, by Rebecca Solnit.
I read this with our company's Women's Leadership Network. It made some good points, but overall I found it too heavy-handed.

Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi.
I loved this book. It is an amazingly ambitious and interesting story that spans generations, starting with two sisters in Ghana. The book follows their descendants in Africa and in America and tells their stories. Each character is fully developed, and it's incredible how much history the author is able to cover. Seven generations and fourteen main characters in all. From eighteenth-century Ghana to the present day. Horrific and terribly sad in parts, it's beautifully told and important. Couldn't recommend enough.

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
This book is going to stay on my nightstand for a good, long time. Actually, it probably belongs downstairs, somewhere I will read it during the day, because you need to be fully alert to take it in. Tyson is a wonderful writer, and he's very accessible; but he's also very intelligent and writing about incredibly complex topics. So although this is a small book, it still manages to cover a lot, and a lot of it went right over my head. I need to come back to it, and take more of it in small doses. That said, it's fascinating, and I thoroughly enjoyed trying to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really love hearing from the people who read this little blog of mine. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...